Thursday, March 6, 2008

Another Memoir Debunked

What a week!

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-ed-memoir6mar06,1,3674980.story

This time a white woman named Margaret Seltzer was pretending to be a half-Native American half-Caucasian gang member named Margaret B. Jones living in South LA.

I'm much too tired to give this the kind of in-depth attention I gave to that faux Holocaust Memoir the other day (also, the details of this second story aren't quite as hilariously outlandish as those in the first book) but I will say this:

1. I agree with the notion that it is immoral to exploit or misrepresent a group (e.g. European Jews, impoverished urban minorities) for financial gain.
2. But does this mean that publishers should have to run extensive background checks on any author claiming to write nonfiction? Because I don't know that I agree with that. I'm still mulling the whole thing over.

No comments: