Saturday, March 22, 2008

Shit Sandwich

When I was writing my senior thesis last year, I came across a quote that has since stuck in my head very vividly. It's from Guillermo del Toro, the writer-director of Pan's Labyrinth and seemingly a hell of a nice guy from all I've seen and read of him.

Mark Kermode* interviewed del Toro for the Guardian back in late 2006 as the accolades for Labyrinth were pouring in. The jolly Mexican director offered this as the ultimate quote on filmmaking:

"If you think it's hard at the beginning, it never gets better. I say making movies is like eating a sandwich of shit. Sometimes you get more bread, sometimes less bread, but you always get shit. This is the final piece of advice."


*Kermode also happens to be the interviewer who was talking with Werner Herzog when he was shot with an "insignificant bullet." There's something to be said for being in the right place at the right time.

No comments: